Melissa McCarthy just recently lost a whopping 75 pounds over the last year. She averaged a healthy weight loss of 5-10 a month all while eating a high protein-low carbohydrate diet and a consistent workout regimen. We are going to break this down so that you- that regular person sitting here reading this can get the same results as Melissa and you don’t need to spend a fortune on personal trainers and nutritionists.
So, Melissa followed 5 simple rules when it came to her diet.
- Fiber first: Instead of counting calories and being obsessed with eliminating carbohydrates her coach instilled a different mindset- feed your body high fiber foods. Snacks including fruits, vegetables, nuts, nut butters, and whole grains. Your thinking wait.. nut butters contain carbohydrates. Yes, they do BUT because they are so heavily loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals that they actually boost your metabolism.
- Low insulin: By keeping her insulin low for a straight 12 hours a day equaled faster fat loss. How does that work? She ate high protein 5 hours before bed. She was essentially doing something called intermittent fasting. During our “fed state” we are digesting and absorbing food. This starts when you start eating and lasts 3-5 hours. At “fed state” it is very hard for your body to burn fat because insulin levels are high. The next is “post-absorptive state” which is your body is not processing food anymore. This is 8-12 hours after your last meal. Finally, “fasted state” is when the fat is burning. The insulin levels are low and your body can now burn the fat that wasn’t accessible during fed state. This happening 12 hours after your last meal. Interesting right?
- Hydration over hunger: This is great advice. Every time she is hungry she drinks a tall glass of water with lemon. Water will expand your stomach and make you feel full. You will automatically consume 200 less calories each meal! That adds up to like 20 pounds of extra weight loss over a year!
- Supercharge the metabolism: Melissa drinks 2 cups of hot green tea with each meal. When your metabolism and energy levels are high it is much easier to get in consistent workouts and speed up your fat burning around the clock.
- Become a protein powerhouse: Half of Melissa’s calories came from high quality protein. Why? Because protein is a thermo genic. It gives your muscles fuel for daily activities. She ate a lot of grilled chicken, eggs, fish, fat free turkey, and lean beef.
Let’s talk discuss Melissa’s workout routine now. She does a combination of Pilates, HIIT (high intensity interval training), martial arts, and full body resistance training. So this is what a week of workouts looked like for Melissa. Note: she was training for the movie Spy at the time so that is why you are seeing the martial arts training from what I have read.
- Monday: 30 minutes of martial arts and 10 minutes of rowing
- Tuesday: Full body resistance training (this means you are using your own body weight) 3 sets of- pushups, reverse crunches, wall sits, hamstring ball curls, jumping jacks, lower back extensions, and squats.
- Wednesday: 30 minutes of martial arts and 10 minutes of burpees
- Thursday: Full body workout. She does a resistance overload meaning she is working her largest and strongest muscles groups; such as quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, back, and shoulders. Example: 4 sets of squats with 90 seconds of rest at 12 reps, 3 sets of walking lunges with 90 seconds of rest 10 reps each leg, and 3 sets of machine chest presses 60 second rest periods with 10 reps.
- Friday: 30 minutes of martial arts and 10 min of skipping rope
Let’s talk about trainers and what kind of money you should expect to shell out for one of them. On average you will be paying an hourly rate of $60.00 to $70.00 a session. High powered trainers will run you around $15,000 for a 6 week session. I am pretty sure that the average person cannot afford either of those options. Along with those prices may come gym memberships and monthly cost there too.
So what if there was an alternative? What if for each one of the workouts that Melissa McCarthy was doing there was a way for you to have a workout, a free on line coaching, a support group whenever you needed it, a nutrition guide, and a 30 day money back guarantee?
Beachbody offers many challenge pack programs that give you all the above and then some for a fraction of the price. So you may want to do some martial arts training- Les Mills Combat may interest you and the challenge pack will cost you $140.00. Melissa also did some pilates for that there is PiYo and it will run you between $160.00- $205.00. HIIT training has many options Turbo fire, Insanity, 10 minute trainer, and P90x are all options and they all go for around $180.00. The new 22 Minute Hard Corp training alternates cardio and resistance training and also around $140.00. This is a one time fee, not a monthly fee. Not to mention, several of the programs are 30 minutes workouts so you can find the time to get that workout in and start feeling healthier, stronger and a better version of yourself.
However, if you wanted to remain on Shakeology( their meal replacement shake that is jam packed vitamins, minerals and super foods) then there will be some up keep financially. Your coach will be able to help you with options that can save you even more cash. Links are provided below for Beachbody product information.
Information on Shakeology:
Links to Team Beach Body: